[SATLUG] Video Cards

redpill toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Wed Jul 1 23:29:32 CDT 2009

sure Intel has great open source support, its there 3d support however
that they happen to lack in.  IF all your doing is desktop graphics with
mild compiz setup then an Intel GMA will work just fine.  But try to do
some real work like say in Blender.  Not only that but Nvidia's Cuda
expands the use of their cards by allowing the GPU to be used for other
things not usually associated with 3d Graphics.  Example SETI at Home under
Boinc now uses Cuda.
Don't get me wrong I love F/OSS just as much as the next Linux Freak but
at the end of the day the software has to help me accomplish what I
want.  And Until the Intel GMA chipset can compete with the performance
of Nvidia or for that matter ATI they will always be relegated to
servers, office workstations and low-end laptops.

Todd