[SATLUG] Authentication System Failure

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Fri Jul 3 13:51:25 CDT 2009

[This didn't seem to go through the first time, so I'm resending ...]

I'm running SuSE 11.1, and I've had a session of KDE 4 running for a
while (probably 2-3 weeks).  I had left a couple of apps running last
night, and I went to get back into it today and got a weird error.  When
the screen saver log-in window popped up, I entered my user password and
it came back with the following message:

    Cannot unlock the session because the authentication system failed
    to work; you must kill krunner_lock (pid 20,574) manually.

Trying to log-in as another user at this point does no good.

Switching to the CLI log-in (any one of them), I entered my log-in name
(or root) and then I get 10 lines of this error:

    /etc/initscript: /etc/initscript: Input/Output error

followed by

    INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

Waiting for 5 minutes does no good -- I get the same errors again.

Does anyone know how to deal with something like this, short of forcing
a hard reboot?

Al Lesmerises