[SATLUG] multipath issues on SLES 10SP2.

Enrique Sanchez Vela esanchezvela at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 3 15:19:43 CDT 2009

We're deploying a number of systems using SUSE 10SP2 using EMC storage with multipath & LVM, and we have a bit of a problem, we have two groups of systems, ones showing /dev/dm-XX physical volume name (groupA) and the ones showing /dev/mapper/mpathXX name (groupB) when using  the pvs command, the /etc/lvm/lvm.conf and /etc/multipath.conf files are exactly the same on both groups.

here is the /etc/multipath.conf file .. http://pastebin.com/m7bf38584
and here is the /etc/lvm/lvm.conf one ... http://pastebin.com/m518e5e83

here is the output of pvs on one of the systems of groupA with kernel
Linux systemA #1 SMP Mon May 11 11:46:34 UTC 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

and here is the output of one of the servers in groupB with slightly older kernel;
Linux systemB #1 SMP Tue May 6 12:41:02 UTC 2008 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I've added a EMC share to the system in group A with a lower serial number than the existing ones and restarted the server, the server picks up the new lun but renames all physical volumes starting with dm-0 with the newer lun and from there up, however, it seems to be able to manage the name change and correctly mounts all filesystems, but I still doubt it is working correctly.

multipath was running just fine on all servers while doing the tests.

thank you,
enrique sanchez.

Support the troops, bring them home.