[SATLUG] Resetting Passwords

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Sat Jul 4 23:36:33 CDT 2009

art.hall at sbcglobal.net wrote:
> Yesterday, Al Lesmerises told me he remembered seeing a SATLUG thread about resetting passwords.  I just had a dozen Dell PCs donated for refugee families, but they're all password-protected Windows XP machines.  I know I could wipe them clean and load Ubuntu 9.04, but many of the prospective users learned on and would really prefer using the dreaded Windows OS.  Can someone please steer me to a reliable method for removing or at least resetting Windows XP passwords?  Thanks.
> Art Hall

Actually, it wasn't a SATLUG thread that I thought I remembered
something about password recovery, but it seems to be Linux-related anyway.

A co-worker had to recover some files on a crashed hard-drive, and he
had bought a copy of a software package called "SPOTMAU Power Suite".
It has a number of Windows-related tools including password recovery for
Win2K, XP, & Vista.  It appears to be running under a live version of
Linux (based on what I can see during boot-up), although I don't know
which one -- it won't let me switch to the CLI.

I'm not sure how much it cost, but they have a web site
(www.spotmau.com) where you can find it, and it does appear to work
quite well.

Al Lesmerises