[SATLUG] Re: SATLUG OT resetting MS Windows XP passwd[s] /GNU/Linux advocacy to organizations

D Villarreal dvprogs at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 09:29:15 CDT 2009

> Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 10:32:10 -0700 (PDT)
> From: art.hall at sbcglobal.net
>
>   ... I just had a dozen Dell PCs donated for refugee families, but they're
> all password-protected Windows XP machines... many of the prospective users
> ... really prefer using the dreaded Windows OS.  Can someone please steer me
> to a reliable method for removing or at least resetting Windows XP
> passwords?  Thanks.
> Art Hall

You want to use "chntpw" I keep an old Knoppix 5 CD-ROM around for this.
Please email me off-list if you want more information on this.

Please let me know if you want to discuss how to try to show people that
they're better off not using this kind of setup. Even if someone really
wants to use this kind of setup because of Office, I have heard that one can
use Office with Wine/CrossOver. I have set up Winetricks in Ubuntu, and
theortically you can run these proprietary programs in that, but it's not
ideal. If someone needs Office capability, I wonder if one is not better off
using GNU/Linux exclusively and composing documents on GMail and then
exporting to MS Word format... This probably opens up a can of worms, but
for people who are looking for work and have to send out resumes in that
format, I don't see too many alternatives. I can imagine that some people
would just send plain-text resumes, but I don't know if that's a great idea.
To me, I would rather just use GNU/Linux and OpenOffice.

Daniel