[SATLUG] multipath issues on SLES 10SP2.

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Tue Jul 7 16:39:39 CDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 18:24, Greg Swift <gregswift at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 15:19, Enrique Sanchez Vela
> <esanchezvela at yahoo.com>wrote:
>
> > We're deploying a number of systems using SUSE 10SP2 using EMC storage
> with
> > multipath & LVM, and we have a bit of a problem, we have two groups of
> > systems, ones showing /dev/dm-XX physical volume name (groupA) and the
> ones
> > showing /dev/mapper/mpathXX name (groupB) when using  the pvs command,
> the
> > /etc/lvm/lvm.conf and /etc/multipath.conf files are exactly the same on
> both
> > groups.
>
> I'm about to walk out the door, but my initial thought is that whomever ran
> the pvcreate just used the different path.

The /dev/dm-x paths and the /dev/mapper/vgn-lvn paths are equivalent to the
/dev/vgn/lvn paths, but the use and/or output differs depending on the tool
being used.

> Not sure what the fix to that would be *shrug*

Easy to change VG Names or LV names, ramifications vary though.  `vgrename`
and `lvrename` respectively.  Impact is mainly on the /etc/fstab entries,
and if your root is LVM and involved, the GRUB config as well.

HTH,
jp