[SATLUG] Re: New user requests advice.

cdv7 at sbcglobal.net cdv7 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 8 18:13:09 CDT 2009

Charles Hogan wrote:
> [...]
>>> you are able to currently get DSL through the line.
>>>
>>> 2. Can't help with that one, as I am a Fedora user.  I am sure that
>>> someone else here can help with that.
>>>
>>> 3. It would be helpful to know what e-mail client you are using.
>>>
>>> *line testers at Altex:
>>> http://www.altex.com/Triplett-Line-Bug-4-Phone-LAN-Line-Tester-9615-P145000.aspx
>>>
>>> http://www.altex.com/Telephone-Line-Tester-75-4650-P143540.aspx
>>>
>>> Hope this was of some help.  I'm off to my new weekly habit of
>>> drinks and jazz at The Landing.
>>>
>>> Charlie

>> Greetings Mr. Hogan,
>> Thank you for the useful information. I assume the line tester at
>> Lowe's will do just as well as the one from Altex?  (Please bear with
>> me, as I have no experience in this area.) I took this opportunity to
>> test all my jacks - which I know of.
>>
>> The results of the test:
>>
>> Interior Jack #1
>> (The oldest jack, it came with the house. Only one phone is plugged
>> into it.)  - Red Light. Line reversed.
>>
>> Interior Jack#2
>> ( Installed in 2005. My computer and one other phone are plugged into
>> this jack.) - Amber Light. AC voltage present.
>>
>> Exterior Jack
>> (In the gray Telephone Network Interface box.) - No light. Dead Line.
>>
>> I found the following instructions on the web. Let me know if this
>> applies to my situation. It seems to be applicable to the interior
>> jacks but I am uncertain about the exterior one.
>>
>> “Since you have a polarity tester, simply reverse the two wires at
>> each box showing reverse polarity. It sounds like you just split off
>> at some point and attached the B & Y to a R & G, right?”
>>
>> “Yes.”
>>
>>    “Simply remove the box
>>    cover or anywhere along the line, and interchange the two wires
>>    connected. Black will go where Yellow was and Yellow will go where
>>    Black was. Same with the Red & Green.”
>>

>> Also, I was told by a person from Lowe's that sometimes a DSL filter
>> can disrupt the phone line. Both interior jacks have a 2Wire DSL
>> Filter but of course, these were not in place in when I first
>> attempted Dial up.
>>
>> To answer the question from your last e-mail:
>> The e-mail client I am currently using is Thunderbird.
>> Also, what is your opinion of web based e-mail or G-Mail? From the
>> website:
>> http://howto-ubuntu.com/2008/03/03/how-to-dial-up-internet-on-ubuntu-with-gnome-ppp/
>>
>> This site recommends Opera as the best choice for a dial up browser.
>> Opinion?
>> Again, my thanks.
>> ~cdv
>>
>> Note:
>> This is a resend. I responded to your message on May 31^st  and then
>> again on June 2nd but I received failure notices for both. Based on
>> the notices of 6-2-'09 I am hoping the problem has now been cleared
>> up. Please respond if you are able to receive my message.

New message - 7/8/'09

Greetings Mr. Hogan (or anyone who can help),
I am continuing to try to remove the AC voltage on the line used by my
computer.
Persons knowledgeable about such things examined the situation and
suggested I call AT&T to send a technician out to relocate the Network
Interface Device, as it had been placed parallel and adjacent to the 220
power source to my house.
This situation being corrected, I tested the jack again but the amber
light still appeared.
Then, it was suggested that I perform the following test:
Turn off the circuit breaker that supplies the jack being used by the
computer. Unplug the computer from that jack and plug in the line
tester. The amber light remained on. This eliminated one possible power
source but puzzled the person I was consulting, as where the voltage was
coming from remains a mystery. Please suggest a solution. If this
situation continues, I am concerned that any modem I purchase will
either not work or would possibly be damaged.
Thank you,
~cdv

P.S.
If the line really is too close to a transformer (as there appears to be
one on the telephone pole at the end of my driveway) what can I do?