[SATLUG] Re: New user requests advice.

MK Davis gtmo321 at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 9 15:27:24 CDT 2009

Is this your connection:    ( a)   ___telco wall
jack-------|filter|--------Telephone

 ( b.) or this:____telco wall jack------|dsl modem|----------Computer

| filter|--------------telephone?

If the "AC" is heard on you telephone(s), did you unplug you house
wiring at the telco customer interface jack?  Was there AC noise still
on your telephones?

Did you take a POT (plain old telephone) with a filter and plug into the
teleco interface jack? AC noise?

AC or hum as I call it, is the results of a partial, short on the wire
from the phone company.  The proximate  location of the phone interface
to the house electrical service is seldom a problem.  The interface, I
believe,  is locate near the electrical service to take advantage of the
house common electrical ground.  No AC (hum) on your house interior
wiring when you disconnect the teleco interface jack should eliminate
that possibility.

The DSL modem may not appear to have a problem,the are suppose to
operate at frequencies out of the audio range, and is able to buffer
(store) and correct data. DSL system, in my opinion, is slow to begin
with - so an additional reduction in speed may not be noticed.

If you recently had new interior wiring done for your dsl modem, I've
found that cable staple gun to be a source of hum (ac) noise,

Other comments on this subject are on the money - this is just my take
on you situation.   The question of whether polarity is important is
iffy -  for a  POT,  it may not be a big deal.  For  a DSL  modem,
caller ID (another data modem) and a telephone system with lots of bells
and whistles...who knows.  If you want to correct your installation - I
would suggest that you start at the customer interface.  This link may
be of interest:

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tip_and_ring

Mike