[SATLUG] OpenOffice and videos

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Sun Jul 12 15:40:59 CDT 2009

> Just out of curiosity, I tried to see if this would run on my Windows
> box, but it wouldn't run there either.  I got the following error:
>
> "You are trying to play an MP3 file that contains compressed ID3
> headers. The ID3 header is a portion of the file that stores the song's
> album information (for example, the song name, artist name, album name,
> and genre). This information is sometimes called a "tag."
>
> To fix the problem, make a copy of the file and then use a non-Microsoft
> ID3 tag editing program to remove or reset the file's ID3 headers. After
> you remove the ID3 headers, Windows Media Player should be able to play
> the MP3 file.
>
> Attempting to remove ID3 headers might damage the file and make it
> unplayable. Therefore, always make a copy of the file before you edit it.
>
> If this solution does not resolve the problem, the file might be corrupted."
>
> There was also some references to having some kind of sound driver
> problem and that I should check to see if my sound card was working,
> etc. (it was, BTW).  So maybe your issue is not with OO at all.
>
> Al Lesmerises

Thanks, Al, but I think this is a misleading error message - the file
doesn't contain any sound. Furthermore, it plays just fine with mplayer.
My solution now is to just link an object on the presentation page to
a script file that plays this movie with mplayer - that works fine.
Perhaps someone knows what file formats are natively supported under
OO and then tell me how to convert the file to that format without
loss of quality.

Thanks again, -Borries