[SATLUG] Re: New user requests advice.

cdv7 at sbcglobal.net cdv7 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 13 18:08:40 CDT 2009

Don Wright wrote:
> Previously this was mentioned:
>
>>> Exterior Jack
>>> (In the gray Telephone Network Interface box.) - No light. Dead Line.
>>>

> This concerns me, as the TNI (or SNI for Subscriber Network Interface)
> test jack is supposed to be the place to disconnect all inside wiring
> (IW) and check the pure line from your telephone company by plugging a
> phone into it. If that one is dead but inside works, something isn't
> proper.

This part of the problem may have been corrected. If I understood the
AT&T technician correctly, I was told not to expect a light from the
analog telephone line tester unless I was receiving an incoming call.
After the technician did some work on it, he was able to receive a dial
tone on his equipment. I also checked the test jack by plugging a phone
into it. I was able to call out and receive an incoming phone call from
that same jack.
> Let's be sure we're talking about the same thing. Here's a picture of
> one of these puppies. Look at the green jack with the short gray phone
> line plugged into it. That's the test jack - yours should be similar.
> Ignore the part about opening things and cutting wires - that's a whole
> different situation he's fixing.
>
> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,1012399

Yes, I have the same green jack with a short gray phone line.
> If there is more than one jack, you may have a spare one or more for a
> second line.

I examined this section. I saw only one interface jack. I have Line
Module III 4 Screw-Version B.
> If your house has a security system that uses the phone line, that's
> another complication and you may need to get the alarm company involved.

I do not have a security system.
Thank you for your feedback. I will look into your initial suggestions
and also each of the suggestions offered by other members.
~ cdv