[SATLUG] OT: (maybe...) Chips in official IDs raise privacy fears - Yahoo! News

Dennis Myhand dmyhand at suddenlink.net
Mon Jul 13 21:49:42 CDT 2009

David Kowis wrote:

> Geoff wrote:
>> David Kowis wrote:
>>> Be sure NOT to smash your passport with a hammer, it might disable the
>>> RFID. (if you get one of the new ones that is.)
>> uhm... and that would be a -bad- thing?
>>

> I don't think so, but I do believe it's illegal to do so.
>
> http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/15.01/start.html?pg=9
> "tampering with a passport is punishable by 25 years in prison."
>
> Of course, if it were to stop working for some reason, that's a
> different story. RFID can be rather fragile.

Yeah, I think the people at Customs when you try to enter the country
would want to know why the passport was not working and would direct you
to get a new passport.  Hammer marks might cause them to investigate why
the passport was not working.  Could a strong magnet kill the RFID chip?
  I hear some foreign customs stations "use" really strong magnetometers
to detect weapons.  Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.  Say no more!  A nod's as
good as a wink to a blind horse, if you catch my meaning!