[SATLUG] OT: FM Blocker for HDTV OTA?

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Wed Jul 15 22:55:02 CDT 2009

Sugar wrote:
> Just for information, woai is broadcasting on two channels, Kens is
> broadcasting on two channels, KSAT is broadcasting on three channels,
> KLRN is broadcasting on 4 channels, KABB and my35 are broadcasting on
> one channel each.  Then there are the Spanish UHF channels as well.  I
> don't watch them but they were there in my latest channel scan.
>
> My rabbit ear antenna is aimed between the KABB antenna and the KENS
> antenna south east of town.  If I remember correctly, KSAT still
> broadcasts from downtown.  Don't know if this helps anyone on the
> fringes though.
>
> I live approx 17 miles from downtown.
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeremy Mann" <jeremymann at gmail.com>
> Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 12:14 PM
> Subject: Re: Re: [SATLUG] OT: FM Blocker for HDTV OTA?
>
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 11:59 AM, redpill<toddwbucy at grandecom.net> wrote:
>> I found that I got better reception when I added a couple of cookie
>> cooling grates on the reverse side of the antenna. That said I live
>> less then 5 miles from ksat's antenna.
> I'm hoping I can get all of them when they go full power. If not, the
> antenna will have to go up in the attic.
One of the things I've read is that DTV transmissions are much more
"line of sight" than the old analog signals.  So if you don't have a
clear shot to the antennas, your signal can be weak or non-existent.
Where I'm located (north-central, near Blanco & Bitters), there are too
many buildings and a couple of hills in the way.  I've been told this
general area is not very good for over-the-air reception by many people.

Al Lesmerises