[SATLUG] Bind Help

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Thu Jul 16 23:45:50 CDT 2009

on 7/16/09 2:22 PM, Eric Haugen said:

> I set up my first DNS (Bind9 on ubuntu 9.04) server yesterday and it seems
> to be be working fine but I am curious where it is storing the DNS tables
> at.  I have found that I can run "rndc dumpdb -cache" and it will drop a
> file called named_dump.db into /var/cache/bind/ and I can look at them with
> a text editor there but is can a view or edit them live?

Unless you're running in authoritative mode, they're kept only in
memory.  This is not something you can edit live.

If you are running in authoritative mode, then for the zones that you
serve authoritatively, they are loaded from disk into memory, where they
are used to actually serve data.  Again, you can't edit these live --
you can edit the text files and make BIND reload the zones, but that's
not editing the data live.

If you've got any other questions on BIND, let me know.  I've been
mucking about with it since the early 90s, and I'll be glad to share
whatever experience I can.