[SATLUG] Bind Help

Tweeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Fri Jul 17 00:04:59 CDT 2009

On Thursday 16 July 2009 02:22:06 pm Eric Haugen wrote:
> I set up my first DNS (Bind9 on ubuntu 9.04) server yesterday and it seems
> to be be working fine but I am curious where it is storing the DNS tables
> at.

If you're talking about the actual zone files you're serving authoritative
domains from.. they will either be in /var/named and the config file
in /etc/named/named.conf (if NOT running in chroot'd mode), or if in chroot'd
mode (last I checked on Fedora anyway) they end up being
in /var/named/chroot/var/named/ (for the zone files)
and /var/named/chroot/etc/named/ (for the config file).  However.. once these
are loaded into RAM, you have to do changes and do a "service named reload"
or "restart" to adopt said changes.

On Ubuntu.. I also see some people run the named chroot in /chroot
(original). ;)

And as the others say.. the cache runs completely out of RAM.

More info on running bind on Ubuntu is here:
	https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BIND9ServerHowto

Let us know if you have any other Qs.

Tweeks