[SATLUG] Getting more Linux/Unix expertise

Kevin Buckner sirjaggy29 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 12:33:01 CDT 2009

Here is my situation history

   I am trying to develop more hands on Linux/Unix expertise. I used to be a
Solaris/ AIX
Power User ( I refrain from using the term system administrator too loosely
:) ) Since 2002 I did not
have access to these (Power PC and SPARC machines) commercial unixes. So
there was
a big gap between my last hands on experience which made it difficult to
show credibility. In 2007
I got hooked on Fedora and DSL ( Damn Small Linux) and wanted to become a
linux engineer. So
at first I tried to relate my old commericial unix  experience to linux
which was a huge mistake. Then I decided
to wipe the slate clean and start fresh.

I spent most of last year trying to build my experience on CentOS, Puppy,
Open Suse and Ubuntu Linux to prepare for
certification as a Linux Engineer.  I was hooked on Open Solaris, and MAC OS
X as well but didnt spend as much time
on these other unix systems as linux. So here is my question: By
volunteering on open source projects could I build
expertise in linux or by starting a home test lab instead? Or better yet
getting linux + certified is the way to expertise. I
did want  to support in a hands on way. Please advise.