[SATLUG] Getting more Linux/Unix expertise

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 18:52:00 CDT 2009

Brad Knowles wrote:

> IMO, the only Linux certification that's really worth anything are the
> ones from Red Hat,

I don't like any vendor specific certifications.  I think the LPI (Linux
Professional Institute) certifications are OK, but I do admit that they are not
as rigorous or as well known as RH.

In the long run, any certification, RHCE, MSCE, BS, MS, PhD, LLD, CPA, MD, etc
are only valuable to someone doing some hiring.  If they don't have the ability
to really evaluate your skills (and many don't), then they rely on these
certifications as poor substitutes.  Once you have the job, the certifications
mean nothing.  Being able to do the job is very important, but more people get
fired over interpersonal skills than for lack of technical skills.

Have you ever known anyone that has a large number of certifications and doesn't
really know squat?  I certainly have.

   -- Bruce