[SATLUG] Printer problems

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 19:23:52 CDT 2009

I have an HP Business Inkjet that has stopped working.  This evening we had a
thunderstorm close by and had a lot of power fluctuations.  The UPSs were
beeping regularly.  Unfortunately, I did not have my printer plugged into the
UPS.  Now I can't get it to work. :)

When I plug in the usb cable, I get in dmesg:

usb 3-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4
drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 4 if 0 alt 1
proto 2 vid 0x067B pid 0x2305

drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: error -32 reading printer status

The printer indicates that it is 'Ready'.

Does this sound like the electronics have been hosed?  If so, does it sound like
something that can be fixed?  I'd hate to scrap the printer.   It cost about
$650 in 2005 or so dollars.

   -- Bruce