[SATLUG] File system corruption

Don Wright satlug at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 19 11:52:12 CDT 2009

Alan Lesmerises <alesmerises at satx.rr.com> wrote:

>First, to recap, my system has 2 identical Seagate 400GB SATA drives
>configured as RAID 0

The Dixie Chicks have some advice:
   "There's Your Trouble, There's Your Trouble
    You Keep Seeing Double With The Wrong One"

As others have noted, running root on RAID 0 is just asking for a
learning experience.

> <...>  It's extremely unlikely that
>both drives would be failing simultaneously, so could the motherboard be
>to blame?

Yes. I have a mobo that lost SATA capability while IDE seems unaffected.
At least one drive also failed, so don't know who died first. Have
regularly seen reports of drives from same timeframe failing close
together too, so don't count matching drive defects out.

Of course OS corruption can make hardware act strange, so try System
Rescue CD (www.sysresccd.org) and use the test utilities like smartmon
to exercise the drive from there. If things look OK, I predict an OS
reinstall is in your future.  --Don

--
We're headed for a Quantum Collapse!