[SATLUG] Getting more Linux/Unix expertise

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sun Jul 19 19:24:14 CDT 2009

on 7/18/09 8:54 PM, ed said:

> In my world, we call these "paper technicians."  They may know how to
> browse a book and pass a test, but choke when the interviewer as them to
> describe or demonstrate a memory upgrade...  :P

That's one of the things about most of the Red Hat certs.  There is a
theoretical side, and a practical side.  If you can't demonstrate the
practical side under the gun trying to fix 23 different problems in a
ten minute period of time (or whatever), then you fail the cert.

Of course, once someone gets the cert, that doesn't mean that they won't
flunk the job interview.  And even if they do pass the interview with
flying colors and they have all the right certs, they could still be a
very unpleasant person to work with or for.

So, you've got to keep all these factors in mind.