[SATLUG] Microsoft Contributes Linux Drivers to Linux

Todd W. Bucy toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Mon Jul 20 17:00:35 CDT 2009

ed wrote:

> Brad Knowles wrote:
>> Three words: embrace, extend, kill
>> -- Brad Knowles
>>
> A known Macroshaft business practice.  My thoughts, exactly...
>
> Cheers;
> Ed

This strategy has worked very well for Microsoft when its victim is a
piece of proprietary software.  But how succesfull have they really been
at shutting down F/OSS like Firefox?  How successful have they really
been with their lawsuits?  They have had some but look at all the money
they have spent and compare that to their goals.  Given the general
state of the economy such victories may become pyric ones at best.  It
may be that they are working both angles and I for one am very cynical
but I can't help but wonder if there may be more fundamental economic
factors at work which are in fact beginning to show in the behavior of
M$.  It may be that M$ sees a competitive advantage in adopting a mod of
producing software which is more open.  In my view this is a good sign.
What we want after all is for M$ to change its behavior...right?

Todd