[SATLUG]OT: Win 2000 problem

ed horned0wl93 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 15:47:05 CDT 2009

Sugar wrote:
> If you have the Win 2000 CD/DVD you should be able to run the install
> procedure and then select "repair" and it will fix the corrupt files
> without having to re-format or mess up any of your files on that
> tower.  After this the tower should boot as normal.  Just to make
> sure, I just did this with a win2000 machine I have and it reported
> back that my file system did not need repair and exited as expected..
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Nathan" <nathan at gvtc.com>
> Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 7:42 AM
> Subject: [SATLUG]OT: Win 2000 problem
>

>> As most of you know, I have 2 computers, my Laptop which I bring to
>> the meetings and computer shows with Linux, and my Tower with Win
>> 2000 that I use because of two programs I can not get in Linux.
>>
>> Prior to leaving on my trip on the first of July the Tower was
>> working fine. Since I got back it will not boot.
>>
>> Disk I/O error: Status = 00001000
>> Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or
>> corrupt:
>> Windows 2000 root>\systen32\ntoskrnl.exe
>>
>> Does anyone know if this file is easy to get at on the Win 2000 CD,
>> or would I be better off getting a copy from a working Win 2000?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Nathan
>> --
Hi...  Before trying all that, try booting into Safe Mode (F8 on boot) and:

1.  Select "Boot from Last Known Good Configuration."  and, if that
doesn't work,
2.  Boot into Safe Mode again with Command Prompt, and type the command
"Fixboot."

Either of these stands a chance of restoring your system, though you may
need an install disk to accomplish them...

Cheers;
Ed