[SATLUG] Average lifespan of an Adaptec SCSI card?

Jeremy Mann jeremymann at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 09:58:00 CDT 2009

After 6 years of faithful service, our Adaptec SCSI adaptor (Adaptec
3410S Ultra160 4 channel) may have bit the dust. Over the weekend, 2
of the 6 drives failed and were marked as Dead. I have replaced those,
however, the server keeps kernel panicing at random intervals with
regards to the dpt_i2o driver (kernel SCSI driver).

This server is our secondary backup server and it has been online and
operational for quite some time. In fact, its the one server in our
lab with the highest uptime, until this weekend.

We didn't lose any data other than the operating system so I can bring
the system down for testing, pulling cards, etc...

My question is, under this typical data center environment, what is
the average lifespan of a SCSI card (or a SATA card)?

--
Jeremy Mann
jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu

Bioinformatics Core Facility