[SATLUG] Getting more Linux/Unix expertise

FIRESTORM_v1 firestorm.v1 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 11:51:15 CDT 2009

ok, I'll throw my .05c in to the conversation...  (hey, gotta blame
inflation for the increase. :)

I second the response for linux from scratch.  Even if you never get
to the point that you build your own distribution, LFS is EXCELLENT at
getting to know how the Linux operating system as a whole works.

It teaches you the boot process, why things are the way they are, how
the runlevels work and how they do what they do.

It really pulls the "magic curtain" back and lets you see the inner
workings of our great OS. It starts you off with nothing and you build
up from there, adding what you want and figuring out how to get it
done.

One of the reasons I'm decent at squeezing Linux onto embedded devices
is because of my working with LFS.  The things it taught me helped me
apply those lessons to real world applications and to achieve the
goals I wanted to achieve.

Good luck. :)

FIRESTORM_v1