[SATLUG] Linux expertise

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Wed Jul 22 13:29:13 CDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 10:54, Kevin Buckner <sirjaggy29 at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I heard quite a bit about how good is Red Hat certs for Linux. I guess
> these would be a baseline for know how since they test practical
> implementation. Really I want to have the real world experience more than
> acronym for my name.

Having taken the ~7 hour RHCE test, I can safely say that it is an accurate
reflection of depth/breadth of knowledge.  The RHCT (Technician) part (first
2.5 hours or so) is all about OS operations (booting, troubleshooting, run
levels, users, package/software management, disk management, basic
configuration) and the RHCE portion (last 3.5 hours or so) is all about
advanced OS (SELinux, auditing/quota, etc) and service configuration (HTTP,
SMTP, POP/IMAP, FTP, SAMBA, NIS+,

What so hard to tell is just what level a person's know how really is in
> linux
> and I wanted to show my skills are polished. thanks for the opinions.

If I were to take it again, I would spend the most time working on the
Service Config Knowledge, particularly the biggies: HTTP, SMTP/POP/IMAP,
normal security stuff (SELinux, host.allow/.deny, etc) and the like.