[SATLUG] Getting more Linux/Unix expertise

Sean I siffland at nerdshack.com
Wed Jul 22 18:39:33 CDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 11:51 AM, FIRESTORM_v1<firestorm.v1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> ok, I'll throw my .05c in to the conversation...  (hey, gotta blame
> inflation for the increase. :)
>
> I second the response for linux from scratch.  Even if you never get
> to the point that you build your own distribution, LFS is EXCELLENT at
> getting to know how the Linux operating system as a whole works.
>
> It teaches you the boot process, why things are the way they are, how
> the runlevels work and how they do what they do.
>
> It really pulls the "magic curtain" back and lets you see the inner
> workings of our great OS. It starts you off with nothing and you build
> up from there, adding what you want and figuring out how to get it
> done.
>
> One of the reasons I'm decent at squeezing Linux onto embedded devices
> is because of my working with LFS.  The things it taught me helped me
> apply those lessons to real world applications and to achieve the
> goals I wanted to achieve.
>
> Good luck. :)
>
> FIRESTORM_v1

Gentoo is the same way, it does not go as in depth as linux from
scratch, but if you do a gentoo install (I started back in the day
with a stage1 on a 586) following the handbook you learn a lot about
the way linux works and how to not compile a kernel.

As for certs, yeah we are all required to get our Security+ as a DoD
requirement, everyone is using pass4sure and getting 900's and most
are users.......I realize Redhat's is a lot harder but still.

Sean