[SATLUG] Getting more Linux/Unix expertise

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 13:17:46 CDT 2009

Going back to the original subject asked, I would say that there are really
only two certifications that will matter in the industry today. RHCE is well
known and respected, and you will find many jobs that ask for it. Sun
Solaris certification is one that is often overlooked but very lucrative if
you make the right moves. By this I mean that if you become Sun Solaris
certified and attain the proper government/DoD/military clearances (TS/SCI.
etc.) you will have excellent job stability with very high pay rates
compared to the industry in general. You are 'pigeon-holing' yourself in a
way with Solaris since there are not as many positions out there versus Red
Hat admins, but generally the pay is higher overall to much higher in
cleared environments.