[SATLUG] Linux as a Desktop and more expertise

ed horned0wl93 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 13:25:53 CDT 2009

Kevin Buckner wrote:
> I really want to get more involved in supporting Linux as a desktop OS. Now I think the bifggest hurdle to overcome is device drivers and wireless networking. Most people dont have any idea about how to correct
> device drivers and want to be able to do a few mouse clicks and be surfing the net. Anybody think of standard device drivers and wifi access on linux? Could you totally depend on linux as a desktop without dual booting with windows xp/vista?

I do.  The only reason I have any Winderz on my home network, at all, is
for visitors too set in their ways (or afraid) to use my workstations.
I've used Ubuntu, at work, on my classroom administrative workstation,
for nearly 2 years now, and have had another Ubuntu machine up and
running on our Active Directory domain for about three months.  I'd say,
with some assurance, that it can be done, and would be willing to
demonstrate in if desired.

Cheers;
Ed