[SATLUG] Linux as a Desktop and more expertise

James Tiner jtiner at satx.rr.com
Thu Jul 23 18:48:45 CDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-23 at 11:06 -0500, Kevin Buckner wrote:
> I really want to get more involved in supporting Linux as a desktop OS. Now
> I think the bifggest hurdle to
> overcome is device drivers and wireless networking. Most people dont have
> any idea about how to correct
> device drivers and want to be able to do a few mouse clicks and be surfing
> the net. Anybody think of standard
> device drivers and wifi access on linux? Could you totally depend on linux
> as a desktop without dual booting
> with windows xp/vista?
>
> I hope I can get more exposure with desktop support of linux here in the
> users group. I welcome the challenge.

I use Kubuntu exclusively on my home machines. I do have an XP VM and
also run a couple of Windows apps under wine.

I support Windows and have to use it, but not at home. In fact, before I
was caught up in the lay-offs at Clear Channel, I ran a couple of Linux
distros and was able to join the domain, use exchange with Evolution,
and complete all tasks assigned to me.