[SATLUG] Rackspace Screening Questions

Henry Pugsley henry.pugsley at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 20:18:53 CDT 2009

One of my interview topics was describe the boot sequence from power
on to OS load. Also had some questions about initrds, kernel compiles,
how to enable/disable services, and configuring common hosting
services (http, mysql, imap, pop).

Did the questions get easier or something? ;)

-Henry

On 7/23/09, Sean I <siffland at nerdshack.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Kenneth Cluck<kc3 at colorado.usa.com> wrote:
>>  Okay, as some of you know I'm new to town and am looking for a job. I
>> had a phone screening with Rackspace and later today am supposed to get a
>> second one. I am kind of nervous but does anyone have any ideas of things
>> I should refresh on before I take the screening?
>>

> Probably to late but:
>
> know what ports 69 110 143 873 177 993 and 995 are
>
> uptime gives load values
>
> know the locate command (locate database update)
>
> grep stands for (G)lobal (R)egular (E)xpression (P)arser
>
> What the sticky bit is
>
> how to suspend an active process
>
> now to nice and renice
>
> up2date options
>
> 3 entries in httpd.conf to turn on php
>
> basic sendmail functions
>
> other stuff is just basic knowledge.
>
> Sean

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it" - Alan Kay