[SATLUG] vi editor and insert mode as regular user

John D Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 21:45:17 CDT 2009

On Thursday 23 July 2009 21:35:40 Travis Runty wrote:
> Does the user you are using have write permissions to the file?  If not 'vi'
> will open it as read-only...

Oh yeah. My user did the following, for instance.

touch test.rc
vi test.rc

I can type stuff, but cannot backspace or delete as is possible in insert mode. I also cannot move the cursor with the arrow keys. I can do ZZ or :wq to exit and the changes to the file are saved.
If I do the same process as root, I can press 'i' or 'insert' and have -- INSERT -- appear at the bottom of 'vi' and all arrows and backspace/delete function normally in insert mode.