[SATLUG] vi editor and insert mode as regular user

Chris Hudson chrishudson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 22:00:38 CDT 2009

  Not sure what the issue is, but just wanted to mention that you shouldn't
have to use the arrow keys to move around in Vi.
The j and k keys will move you up and down, and w and b will move you
forward and backward a word at a time.
More here:  http://forums.serverbeach.com/showthread.php?t=4610

 -- chud

Oh yeah. My user did the following, for instance.

touch test.rc
vi test.rc

I can type stuff, but cannot backspace or delete as is possible in insert
mode. I also cannot move the cursor with the arrow keys. I can do ZZ or :wq
to exit and the changes to the file are saved.
If I do the same process as root, I can press 'i' or 'insert' and have --
INSERT -- appear at the bottom of 'vi' and all arrows and backspace/delete
function normally in insert mode.