[SATLUG] Re: [XCSSA] Average lifespan of an Adaptec SCSI card?

Tweeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Fri Jul 24 00:06:42 CDT 2009

On Wednesday 22 July 2009 09:58:00 am X-otic Computer Systems of San Antonio
wrote:
> After 6 years of faithful service, our Adaptec SCSI adaptor (Adaptec
> 3410S Ultra160 4 channel) may have bit the dust. Over the weekend, 2
> of the 6 drives failed and were marked as Dead. I have replaced those,
> however, the server keeps kernel panicing at random intervals with
> regards to the dpt_i2o driver (kernel SCSI driver).

I would put the card in another machine and verify if it's actually bad or
not.  It's more likely that the motherboard bus chips overheated and went
south before the SCSI card.

The other suggestions on the list about cleaning the edge connector and
reseating the card and what not are good ones..

> My question is, under this typical data center environment, what is
> the average lifespan of a SCSI card (or a SATA card)?

once a card (or any not overly hot chip/card device) is adequately "burned
in".. it usually has a longer lifespan than you (unless is has a lot of
electrolytic caps that run  the risk of drying out and stopping).

Check it in another machine.. (as well as you cables, clean the connector,
etc).

Tweeks