[SATLUG] vi editor and insert mode as regular user

John D Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 13:06:20 CDT 2009

On Friday 24 July 2009 00:52:30 Brad Knowles wrote:
> on 7/23/09 10:00 PM, Chris Hudson said:
>
> >   Not sure what the issue is, but just wanted to mention that you shouldn't
> > have to use the arrow keys to move around in Vi.
> > The j and k keys will move you up and down, and w and b will move you
> > forward and backward a word at a time.
>
> Indeed, being dependent on the extra keys working (like insert, cursor
> keys, etc...) is a crutch that you want to stay away from.  There are
> times when your terminal settings are badly enough messed up that you
> simply can't type these key sequences at all, or if you do type them
> then they don't have the effect you want.  With vi, you really, really
> want to learn the original native commands and sequences for everything.
>
> Also, don't get wrapped up in vim extensions (like color syntax parsing,
> or whatever), because vim is not universal, whereas the core vi stuff is
> pretty universal.

OK, but what about 'delete' and 'backspace'? I am not a perfect typist and make errors from time to time and those keys can come in handy for editing.
We are now straying away from my original question which was, basically:
Why is there the difference in behavior of vi for the root user and a regular user.
I want no more lessons in using the vi commands, tyvm. I can read the man pages and google for that stuff.