[SATLUG] vi editor and insert mode as regular user

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 13:42:39 CDT 2009

John D Choate wrote:

> OK, but what about 'delete' and 'backspace'? I am not a perfect typist and
> make errors from time to time and those keys can come in handy for editing.
> We are now straying away from my original question which was, basically: Why
> is there the difference in behavior of vi for the root user and a regular
> user.

1.  Make sure you are using the same program as both user and root:

$ ls -l `which vi`
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Nov 23  2005 /usr/bin/vi -> vim

$ ls -l `which vim`
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1683300 Mar 31 19:49 /usr/bin/vim

$ alias
alias svi='sudo vim'

2.  Make sure that there are no differences in /root/.vimrc and the user's .vimrc.

   -- Bruce