[SATLUG] Linux as a Desktop and more expertise

John D Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 15:19:28 CDT 2009

On Friday 24 July 2009 14:45:10 ed wrote:

> Kevin Buckner wrote:
> > I am not anti windows just very pro-linux for a desktop...
> >
> I'm not anti-Winderz, either, but I am anti-M$ for their business model
> and practices.  From what I've seen of 7, they just might have recovered
> from the nastiness of Vista.  However, forced 'updates;' hijacking
> competitors' applications; and their practices of acquiring and burying
> software that might otherwise 'threaten' them were the initial reasons I
> moved to using and supporting Linux desktops.  I've stayed there because
> I like it -- I like what they've done; I also like where they've gone
> and where they're going.  I want a share in that future.
>
> Cheers;
> Ed

I second what Ed said. Plus, when I used Windowz I always yearned for a different user interface. For every version from 3.0-XP I wanted something more than either program manager or explorer could offer. As far as Win 3.x was concerned, I preferred to use dosshell or the pctools shell to windows progman... it took up too much of my 2MB RAM and I couldn't play my games or run my paint program, LOL.

John C.