[SATLUG] Linux as a Desktop and more expertise

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 19:35:03 CDT 2009

On 7/24/09, James Tiner <jtiner at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-07-24 at 18:41 -0500, James Tiner wrote:
>  > On Fri, 2009-07-24 at 10:46 -0500, Kevin Buckner wrote:
>  > > I never used Kubuntu but I would like to have ubuntu to put on my laptop
>  > > instead of using
>  > > Vista. I see the value of going totally linux and want to do so even if it
>  > > means no wifi.
>  > > That is the only thing I dont know for sure what I would do without is wifi.
>  > > I
>  > > am not anti windows just very pro-linux for a desktop
>  > >

> By the way, you may not know that you can switch between the various
>  *buntu distros by typing something like:
>
>  sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
>
>  or
>
>  sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
>
>  or
>
>  sudo apt-get install edubuntu-desktop
>
>  etc...
>

>  --

Does this work both ways? Does "apt/apt-get" have that capability?

I know I can do:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

and then do:
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

but if I wasn't happy with kubuntu could I do:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

and get back to ubuntu?

Being able to reload would be a great feature to have.