[SATLUG] Linux as a Desktop and more expertise

Tweeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Sun Jul 26 19:20:33 CDT 2009

On Friday 24 July 2009 07:35:03 pm Robert Pearson wrote:
[...]
> Does this work both ways? Does "apt/apt-get" have that capability?
>
> I know I can do:
> sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
>
> and then do:
> sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
>
> but if I wasn't happy with kubuntu could I do:
> sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
>
> and get back to ubuntu?

Well, that's not /quite/ how it works.  Once a desktop installed it's
installed.  You use "remove" to remove the desktop and its sub packages.
Personally.. I have both KDE and Gnome installed on all of my systems as I
like some apps from each desktop environment.  That being said.. I think what
you're asking it how to switch between desktops them in Ubuntu.

The display manager (the login GUI) is controlled here:
	/etc/X11/default-display-manager

But you don't need to change the DM to change
desktops.  You only need to change DMs if need a feature of the other DM.  But
more to the point -- whether in gdm or kdm, once you have both desktops
installed, you can always choose which desktop you want to run simply by
selecting it in the DM GUI before hitting enter on your password when logging
in.  After you select a desktop environment, that will be your new desktop
until you change it again.

Tweeks