[SATLUG] vi editor and insert mode as regular user

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Mon Jul 27 13:44:33 CDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 15:29, John D Choate <jdchoate at gmail.com> wrote:

> Actually, I got my problem fixed.
> I made a ~/.vimrc and copied the contents of /root/.vimrc into that. All
> works as expected now.
> I do not understand why ~/.vimrc was never created for my user, buy hey...
> it was an easy fix after all.

Late to party (Home demo keeping me busy), but thought I would throw in that
if you want that file to be distributed to all new users created on the
system, add it to /etc/skel (the directory that is copied to create a new
user dir).  Then when you create a user, they get your default .vimrc.
Course this works for all files in userhome dirs and skel...

HTH,
jp