[SATLUG] Bittorrent and Hard drive failure

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Wed Jul 29 20:39:27 CDT 2009

MK Davis Jr wrote:
> While doing  large bit torrent download, I've had two hard drives to
> fail during or within days thereof.  I've googled  and there appears
> to be some concern that a failure maybe caused by excessive  Hdrive
> usage. I have used Dban software, a disk wipe program, that read/write
> the Hdrive for hours with no failures. I wonder if any of you have had
> a similar experience.
>
> Mike

I recently had some hard-drive problems and went to Altex to pick up a
couple cooling fans, and a salesman there told me about a study done at
Google on hard drive failures that sounds applicable.

They made a number of surprising conclusions that seems to contradict
"conventional wisdom".  First, their server farms are filled with
_consumer grade_ HDD's, and if that isn't a hard operating environment
(given how much traffic they handle), I don't know what is.  But the one
point that caught my attention was that elevated operating temperatures
did not hurt reliability -- in actually helped ... up to a point.

If you're interested, the report is available at Google Labs.  Just
search for something like "Hard Drive Reliability Study".

Al Lesmerises