[SATLUG] Bittorrent and Hard drive failure

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Wed Jul 29 21:55:35 CDT 2009

on 7/29/09 8:39 PM, Alan Lesmerises said:

> They made a number of surprising conclusions that seems to contradict
> "conventional wisdom".  First, their server farms are filled with
> _consumer grade_ HDD's, and if that isn't a hard operating environment
> (given how much traffic they handle), I don't know what is.

Yeah, but they don't care if a drive fails, because they've got millions
of machines and store at least three or four copies of every bit of
information.  So, if a drive fails which then makes that server fail,
the monitoring software automatically takes it out of rotation and
brings in a new one, and marks the old one as dead and in need of
service.  When enough drives/systems in a given area have gone down,
they go in and rip out whole racks of machines and replace them with
whole new racks of machines somewhere else.

So, applying some of the Google methodology to your own life is not
necessarily going to be helpful to you, if you can't apply all of the
Google methodology.  It's interesting to know what they find out, but
it's not necessarily generally applicable to anyone else in the world.