[SATLUG] Mailing list problems

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 22:41:58 CDT 2009

OK, I think we are back up now.  This is what happened:

About 0732 last Saturday (May 30) the server rebooted.  I don't know why.
The log has an entry 01:17:07 and the next one is:

May 30 07:32:40 alamo syslogd 1.4.1: restart.

This matches the boot log.

The reboot stopped a continuous run of about 1250 days.  :(
-----------

I don't know who set up mail/mailman on the system originally (it wasn't me),
but I'm not impressed.  None of the three main processes, sendmail, mailman, and
spamassassin were set to start with the standard bootscripts.  That is, none of
the Sxx links weere present.

After I started those, I still couldn't get sendmail to accept messages.  From
the timestamps, I think someone hacked the sendmail.cf file directly and never
updated the sendmail.mc file.   After I corrected this, with some trial and
error), I still was getting relying denied messages and had to set another
configuration file.

In any case,  I think the list is working properly now.  If anyone is reasonably
conversant in sendmail, I'd like them to contact me off line so I can verify
that my settings are reasonable.

Sorry it took so long to get back up.

   -- Bruce