[SATLUG] Re: New user requests advice.

Charles Hogan cd_satl at futuretechsolutions.com
Fri Jun 5 19:16:55 CDT 2009

Reversed polarity and AC voltage present could potentially cause
problems.  The first being far easier to correct than the second.  As
for DSL filters messing with the phones, well, those came about 2 to 3
years after I quit working tech support for an ISP.

Phone line polarity testers are all about the same, I didn't even think
of Lowes when I mentioned them.  All you need to do to correct the
polarity issue is to switch the position of the red/green pair, put the
red where the green was and vice-versa, (assuming that red and green are
connected to the center 2 conductors in the jack).  The yellow/black
pair is for when you have 2 separate lines connected to one jack.

If I could, I would run new copper to the jack that has the AC voltage
present, especially since that is the jack for the modem, and try
keeping it away from any little nasties like flourescent lighting.  The
line could be picking up AC through induction by being too close to a
transformer or some other silly hard to pinpoint thing.

It's been years since I've done anything inside of a demarc, but if I
recall correctly, they have several jacks, each used for a separate
phone line/number.

As for your e-mail, you should be able to look into the account settings
in Thunderbird, and get the directories where your mail is being stored
locally.  Back-up the entire directory, and pop it into place in the new
install, everything should work ok if you continue using thunderbird.

I'm not big on browser based e-mail, I've been using thunderbird/mozilla
since before I started using linux, which was when XP came out.

Charlie