[SATLUG] Did something stupid ...

skolars skolars at cis.sac.accd.edu
Sat Jun 6 17:10:41 CDT 2009

Alan Lesmerises wrote:
> Ok, I just had to reload the OS (SuSE 11.1) after doing some hardware
> troubleshooting, and was going through different settings to try & get
> things back to the way they used to be before my hardware problems
> showed up.
>
> So I was looking in "Desktop Effects" (which appears to be their
> description for Compiz) and turned it on when I shouldn't have (it
> even warned me, but I said "Yes" anyway - DUMMY!).  Now, whenever I
> login under my regular user account (even failsafe mode), all I get is
> a completely white screen with nothing else visible.  How do disable
> this and get my desktop back?
>
> It doesn't affect Root (I checked), so I know it's a user-related
> setting, but I don't know where to look or what to change.  I also
> know I could just delete my user account and re-create it, but I
> figure that's the coward's way out.
>
> TIA.
>
> Al Lesmerises

This is an example of why you should always come up in run level 3.

Log in as root:
  - vi /etc/inittab
  - replace the 5 with a 3 on the runlevel line
  - :wq

Which desktop are you using (probably KDE or Gnome)?  This will tell us
which file you need to edit.  I would have to look it up.  Does anyone
know off the top of their head?  If no one has answered by Monday I will
look it up at work.  All I have at home this weekend is my Mac.

Steve