[SATLUG] Did something stupid ...

That clown again.... ovalvw57 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 7 03:23:19 CDT 2009

> skolars <skolars at cis.sac.accd.edu> wrote:

> This is an example of why you should always come up in run
> level 3.
>
> Log in as root:
>   - vi /etc/inittab
>   - replace the 5 with a 3 on the runlevel line
>   - :wq

Or just add a 3 to the boot option line when booting up. :D

>> Alan Lesmerises wrote:

>> So I was looking in "Desktop Effects" (which appears to be their
>> description for Compiz) and turned it on when I shouldn't have (it
>> even warned me, but I said "Yes" anyway - DUMMY!).  Now, whenever I
>> login under my regular user account (even failsafe mode), all I get is
>> a completely white screen with nothing else visible.  How do disable
>> this and get my desktop back?

Alan, you *may* be able to fix it by disabling composite in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Boot to runlevel 3 anyway that you want. Adding a 3 to the boot option line is about the easiest way I know of. Once booted up log in as root and edit your xorg.conf file. Look for the Extensions section and change the Composite option to "off". This might work, it might not. I've seen it work on some older nVidia's and Intel's so you never know.

If it doesn't, don't sweat it. There are still other options. You're still logged in as root right? You can run YaST and uninstall compiz. That will very probably fix it right there. If _that_ doesn't work just create another user in YaST and migrate your personal files to that account then delete the first one.

If you don't want to get that drastic, then still as root, rename your /home/<yourusername>/.config/compiz directory to something like /home/<yourusername>/.config/compiz-old. <yourusername> would be your, well, user name of course. :D

Now you need do an Alt+F2 to get to tty2. Log in as your regular user and try X by typing startx to test things out before hopping back into runlevel 5. If X starts, log out or kill your xserver with a Ctrl+Alt+Backspace. (Twice if you haven't changed your ZapWarning to "off" in your xorg.conf yet.)

Once back at the bash prompt in tty2 log out and go to tty1 (Alt+F1) where you're still logged in as root and change to runlevel 5 by typing init 5. This should finally work. Hopefully.

HTH,

Bill