[SATLUG] Linux Skype 64-bit

John D Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 13:48:31 CDT 2009

On Sunday 07 June 2009 13:12:19 Mary Yatti wrote:
> I live in rural Bandera, Tx and have been using Skype w/USB phone for the past month on my Dell Inspiron laptop.  For broadband connectivity, I use a Sprint aircard.  I pay $4.00 a month to make phone calls anywhere in the USA.  I pay nothing to talk internationally to my relatives who also have Skype.
>
> Sadly, my laptop is only 32 bit and I've been using Windows Vista OS.  I really like FAST, FREE (as in troublefree) surfing experiences while I search for the end of the Internet (I'm told it has no beginning and it has no end).
>
> I'm thinking that I will buy a 64 bit laptop and / or desktop in the next few months because I only have one laptop right now...   The laptop I have has been in the shop for several hardware failures (and it's a dell).  Thank goodness, it's under warranty.  I need to have a spare one for my jobs.  I freelance write, telecommute for my software engineering job and also work for CHCS.
>
> I plan on installing Ubuntu and use Skype.  Any Suggestions?
>
> Mary

If you do end up going with a 64bit Linux install, skype can be used. There will be some 32 bit libraries which will need to be installed, but that's about it. Those libraries can coexist with the 64 bit libraries, so no worries there.
I have done this before and if I have time later, I will look up which libraries are needed.
I do not remember which libraries they are but search http://www.google.com/linux for skype 64bit and you should find a link to the appropriate info.

John C.