[SATLUG] Did something stupid ...

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Sun Jun 7 23:16:37 CDT 2009

Alex Bartonek wrote:
> Since you're using gnome, I dont remember which dir has your settings but you can just rename .gnome2, .gconfd, .gnome2_private, .gconf to something else and add _old.  When you log back in as that user you should be back to a regular gnome setup.  Then you can rename 1 dir back at a time until you're hosed again then you know what directory houses the compiz settings.  I've done this before and tanked it just like you.  I just dont remember which dir houses the preferences.
>
> -Alex

Well, I tried renaming the 4 directories you listed above, but they had
no effect.  However, I went on a hunt for anything that mentioned
"compiz" and it looks like I found it.  In  / home / <username> /
.config / compiz , I used your method of renaming the 2 files
(compiz-manager and enable-compiz) and 1 directory (compizconfig) to
effectively disable those settings, and boom -- I'm good to go again.

Thanks for the ideas & suggestions.

Al Lesmerises