[SATLUG] Re: New user requests advice.

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Mon Jun 8 16:08:08 CDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 19:16, Charles Hogan <cd_satl at futuretechsolutions.com
> wrote:

> Reversed polarity and AC voltage present could potentially cause problems.
>  The first being far easier to correct than the second.  As for DSL filters
> messing with the phones, well, those came about 2 to 3 years after I quit
> working tech support for an ISP.

This is a little late on the tread, but if the AC was present AND the phone
was ringing (Or call coming in) then that is normal (AC is what causes the
ringer to go, quite a shock when you are working with the line live, and
suddenly the phone rings: WEEEE)

If you have a multi-line situation (a "line" is a complete "loop" pair, or
same circuit, throughout the premise - Given the different results, it seems
that the inner 2 wires on each plug are on different lines/loops/circuits,
or you tested one when no incoming call and the other when there was
resulting in different results).

If I could, I would run new copper to the jack that has the AC voltage
> present, especially since that is the jack for the modem, and try keeping it
> away from any little nasties like flourescent lighting.  The line could be
> picking up AC through induction by being too close to a transformer or some
> other silly hard to pinpoint thing.

If the AC was not a ring signal, try dialing in temporarily from the other
jacks, just to see if the problem is premise wiring (If you have a laptop,
you could dial directly from the demarc's plug, bypassing premise wiring
problems completely.)

HTH,
jp