[SATLUG] (fwd) AT&T Usenet Netnews Service Shutting Down

ovalvw57 at yahoo.com ovalvw57 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 8 23:47:57 CDT 2009

-- On Mon, 6/8/09, Don Wright <satlug at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Please note that on or around July 15, 2009, AT&T will
> no longer be
> offering access to the Usenet netnews service.  If you

I was wondering what the heck was going on. Last night my newsreader showed unread posts in my subbed groups and when I went to open them they'd be empty. I tried the dallas, houston and kc servers. Same thing. Oh well, ATT's news servers have bit the bone for a long time anyways. I swear the entire alt.binaries hierarchy was always empty. (yeah right!) Then that hierarchy just disappeared. TW dropped their usenet access a while back too.

Last time I used Grande's servers they rocked. More groups then either ATT or TW plus a 90 day retention. I wonder if it's still the same. I can't get Grande where I live now. I know. I tried. It was my first choice for an ISP, but no. Across the street yes, but here, no. Que tonto.

In the end though this is rather sad. The Usenet is one of the oldest and bestest of best on the net. When I first started on the net there was no web. Archie, ftp, email and other cool tools were there but the best part, the wildest part, the place where anything went, and often did, was the Usenet. It was like a BBS on steroids. Once you learned the system you rocked. But once you learned how to take advantage of the system you where a god. I loved it and it got me hooked on the net. It was also where I first heard of Linux.