[SATLUG] ext3

Samuel Leon satlug at net153.net
Tue Jun 16 07:39:03 CDT 2009

Michael wrote:
> Would someone please view the paragraph post in the below link and
> translate it into layman's terms?
>
> Thanks.
>
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/3/24/460

He is flaming the data_writeback mode of ext3.  Ext3 defaults to
data_ordered mode.  See the -o option here:
http://linux.die.net/man/8/tune2fs

I used to use writeback mode until a forced shut down caused all of my
kde config files to be lost.

journal_data
     When the filesystem is mounted with journalling enabled, all data
(not just metadata) is committed into the journal prior to being written
into the main filesystem.

journal_data_ordered
     When the filesystem is mounted with journalling enabled, all data
is forced directly out to the main file system prior to its metadata
being committed to the journal.

journal_data_writeback
     When the filesystem is mounted with journalling enabled, data may
be written into the main filesystem after its metadata has been
committed to the journal. This may increase throughput, however, it may
allow old data to appear in files after a crash and journal recovery.

Sam