[SATLUG] Routers

Luis Garza luis at luisgarza.com
Tue Jun 16 23:19:40 CDT 2009

I cannot tell you how many times I have been called to help with problems with D-Link routers.  They seem to loose their settings no matter who owns them.  This can be VERY frustrating when you setup WEP keys, bittorent port forwarding and DMZs.

Netgears are really good with wireless.  I would rate them a little better than Linksys.

But I bet you are hoping to use it for a firewall, port forwards and setting up a DMZ.

The easiest one I have used was from CompUSA.  It was super easy to setup the DMZ and autologin to zoneedit.com .  Originally they had problems with wireless not working.  Too bad the problems get corrected when they went out of business and got sold.

Currently I use AT&T 2WIRE wireless router.   IF I was going to setup a home webserver / mailserver on the AT&T 2WIRE routers DMZ, I really do appreciate its static IP.  As for Time Warners, the IP is a dynamic IP address but only changes a few times a year.

Time Warner is very good at blocking port 25.

AT&T 2WIRE does have it blocked initially but when I called the customer service, they opened up port 25.

I find that AT&T 2WIRE is easier to forward ports 21, 22, 25, 80, 443.

It also has a menu option for handling ping echos.

As for other firewall settings, basically it is either an on or off kinka thing.  I think all have a hard to find option to write to a syslog server.  Don't expect much for other firewall settings.
Luis Garza
L.Garza at yahoo.com